Monday, February 27, 2012

E-mail from Jake today...

So I’m emailing from Mercedes because we had a meeting here then my companion needed to go to the doctors for his eyes. It was only a checkup for new glasses. But Mercedes is huge compared to Dolores. So a couple things I wanted to mention first. Last week I was putting one of my shirts on and while I was buttoning it up a spider crawled across my chest. Scary. And it has been cooler. It’s like someone switched on the air conditioner. It feels really good. And they say the seasons change almost instantly. So I guess they were right. And carnival was different. It lasts for a week which I didn't know. But no parties that’s only in the places closer to Brazil. But everything was a lot more party like. And kids throw water balloons at you but it’s a good thing South Americans suck at throwing. They are only good with their feet. Because of all the futbol. So none of them hit me. I felt like Samuel the Lamanite on the wall. And I’m still working on my picture situation for you all. I just need to buy a converter which I’m going to do today. And I thought I would never be kissed by random strangers but I guess new things happen all the time on your mission. It’s a greeting here. They kiss you on the check, but missionaries are not allowed to. But every once in a while they get ya. Its gets pretty awkward especially when a man does it. Ewwww... And oh my goodness Star Wars Episode I is coming out in 3D. Wow. You have to let me know how that is. I want to see it. But I think I'll wait for it. And I have been doing as the kings of old have done with their poison. They used to drink a little at a time to get used to it so I wouldn’t kill them. And I have been doing that with the water here. And I haven’t got really sick yet. So it think its working. And it’s true what you said about North Americans. They are seen as money bags here. Everyone mentions something about it. It can get pretty intense sometimes. Especially with other missionaries. So I’m keeping it on the down low. And I’m saying no a lot more too. I do feel a little bad but its either I say no or I go hungry. So...and don’t forget that changes are in 2 weeks. So don’t freak when I email a day later. I wonder if I’m leaving or staying in Dolores. And I had a dream too. I don’t remember what it was about but I was called Elder Salmond in it. So I think the mission is really stuck in my mind now.

It amazes me how little people know about their religion here. People claim to be Catholic, Evangelical, or whatever they claim to be. But they don’t know anything. We ask them simple questions like was Jesus baptized, or about the Atonement and they have no idea what we are talking about. It shocks me a lot. How can you claim to be in a certain religion and not even know why? And there is a section in Preach my Gospel about teaching people with a non Christian background. And I thought I wouldn’t have to use it that much especially for Catholics, but I use this knowledge almost every day. So what point I’m I trying to make? READ THE SCRIPTURES. Most importantly read the Book of Mormon. This book has knowledge and answers that you can’t find anywhere else. And it’s the key stone in our religion. We need to know everything we can about the gospel of Jesus Christ so that when we are questioned we can respond with full confidence what we know. And we can obtain blessings that this gospel has. For example eternal life, eternal families, peace, happiness, joy, and many others. I have experienced what the Book of Mormon can do to someone if they read, ponder and pray about it. It changes someone from an ignorant, rude and truth seeking person into the most beautiful soul who knows what life is about and can see they have changed for the better. They find answers to questions they have had for years and it gives them peace. And to the people who have read it but have lost the light they wanted in the beginning I say to you read the book again and ponder the words. Then ask god, for he is the only one who can give you such a powerful answer, that the Book of Mormon is true. That Joseph Smith saw the Father and the Son. Who restored the gospel once again on this earth so that we may return to live with our Heavenly Father? I pray to those who read this message to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it and I can promise you with the fullness of my heart that this book is true. That tens of thousands even millions have died so that we could hold the truth in our hands. They died to give use the knowledge to save our souls from a fallen state, so that we can be as a family for all time and eternity. To know that Christ is our Redeemer and Savior and will return again to judge this telestial world. Once again read the Book of Mormon. I leave you with my thoughts and my ultimate promise in the name of Jesus Christ amen.

-- 
Con Amor Elder Salmond- capo, guapo, snaker

No comments:

Post a Comment