Thursday, February 4, 2010

Is January really over???

Once again the month is over and I can't believe all that has happened. Ethan made it into the final round of his school spelling bee. I asked if he was excited and he said no. He doesn't like spelling. Well, he didn't win but he did a great job. He is such a smart kid and really loves school and learning. We are so proud of him. Jake finally got a job. Can you say amen!! He started working January 11th at Arby's. It is close to home so if he doesn't have a ride he can easily walk. He's very excited to start making money and save for a car, college and his mission. I asked if he was going to get a cell phone (the kids have to buy there own and pay the bill each month) he said no. It's a waste of money and he doesn't like to talk on the phone any way. The big event this month was my birthday. Not just my birthday but my 40th birthday!!! John and the kids have been so excited for this day. They planned a huge party for January 23rd. So the frenzy of cleaning the house began about January 8th! We deep cleaned and dejunked every room in the house. Washed walls, floor boards, cupboards etc. It was a lot of work but the house has never looked better. I also think it really helps a family grow and learn when you work together (don't get me wrong, there were some cranky moments ;). John and the kids planned everything. There where lots of whispers, e-mails and phone calls happening behind my back. It was driving me nuts. I need to know everything! I think that was the best part for the family, knowing the secrecy was driving me crazy. The day of the party John and the kids were busy bee's preparing food and decorating the house. They wanted me to open my gifts before the party started. Amanda got we some really nice knifes, an original snuzzle (it was before the snuggie) finger nail polish and a really pretty serving tray. John was great. He got me new pots and pans. After 21 years my old pots and pans had seen better days. The new set is so nice (now if I can just teach my kids not to use metal in them). I thought I was done opening gifts when John told me to look in the back of my card. I knew he was up to something. Taped to the back was a picture of a Nook. I couldn't believe it. It was on back order so I havent' gotten it yet but I'm counting down the days. I've already been perusing Barnes and Noble for the first few books I'm going to down load. I am so excited. I probably read 1-2 books a week so this was an amazing present. Thanks Babe!!! After all of the fun presents were opened I left and had my hair done for the party. It was a nice treat to have someone do my hair and get a little pampered. The night was so much fun. I was a little stressed because I don't like to be the center of attention, but once I got over that I really enjoyed myself. John made so much incredible food it was crazy. We had about 60 people show up and it was chaotic, loud and absolutely wonderful. I am so blessed to have so many friends and family that love me enough to come celebrate this milestone with me. I just want to thank everyone for coming and making my 40th something special (and not something to be depressed about ;) My family is incredible and they did all of this with a very big heart. During the party Ethan said he wasn't feeling very well. I told him to go lay in my bed and watch TV. Well about 10 minutes later Luke informed me that Ethan had thrown up all over my bathroom. He had a fever of 104. UGH!!! So I cleaned him up, the bathroom up, drugged him and put him to bed. At about 1100 that night after everyone left he still had a very hig fever. So John moved Ethan's mattress into our room so we could keep an eye on him all night. The next morning at 830 when Insta Care opened I took Ethan in. He looked and acted horrible. His fever was still 104. He had major tonsilitis and strep throat. They said his tonsils were just filled with infection. They gave him a shot of penicillin and sent us on our way. I stopped and got him a Jamba Juice on the way home but as soon as we stepped in the house he threw up. I got him comfortable on the couch, gave him sprite and told everyone to keep an eye on him. I went and laid down because I didn't sleep the night before. About 1 1/2 hours later Luke rushed into my room and yelled "Dad needs you now, Ethan is unresponsive". HOLY CRAP!!! Talk about a wake up call. So I run down stairs reviewing the ABC's (airway, breathing and circulation) to find my poor boy sitting, totally not with it staring at the wall. They had all been asking him questions and trying to him get him to talk, but his mental status and definately changed. I have never been so scared. It's totally freaky to see your kid look so sick and not be able to even say his name. John and I threw clothes on and put Ethan in the car to take him back to Insta Care. I called Insta Care on the way and told them we were coming and be prepared. I told them I didn't think it was an allergic reaction to the penicillan but that he was dehydrated. Insta Care was great. They were waiting for us and got Ethan hooked up and started doing vital signs right away. They could barely find his blood pressure because it was so faint. It took forever to get an IV started because he was so dehydrated. Finally a cute girl from radiology came in and got the IV started. They gave him a good dose of Zofran (makes you stop throwing up) and started him on fluids. It was amazing, about 10 minutes after starting the fluids he was perking up. He asked why we were back at the doctor's. He couldn't even remember the entire episode at home. After about 2 hours at Insta Care, 2 doses of Zofran and a litre of fluids we went home. Ethan was really sick for most of the week but nothing as scary as Sunday morning. I am so grateful for modern medicine. I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have and I knew what to do. I so gratful for prayer (like my continual one on the way to Insta Care). I am so grateful that Ethan is OK. It made me really think about all of the parents that have children in my unit at work and the agony and fear they must go through on a daily basis (sometimes a minute by minute basis). So, that was our Janauary in a nutshell - Clean, Busy, Fun, Friends, Scary, but most of all family!

1 comment:

  1. So glad your birthday party was a huge success!! One of these days we'll live closer and will be able to attend.
    VERY glad Ethan is feeling better, and that InstaCare gave him the attention he needed. Isn't it amazing what a bag of fluids can do...not to mention Zofran has been my wonder drug throughout this entire pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete